Sep
Filed Under (Boats and Boating Gear) by Debbie on 08-09-2008

If you use any Maptech marine products you maybe interested in this information provided by a former employee.  This is very helpful information for those who use their navigation products.

On August 29, 2008, Maptech, inc., makers of navigation products for marine, land, and aerial use officially shut its doors after nearly 20 years of business. This has been a very hard and stressful time for its 75+ employees. We worked together as a family for many years and we were all saddened to see it close.

Fortunately, nearly all of Maptech’s products (and many of its employees) have found new homes. While I may not be able to respond to your specific email request, please allow me to direct you to the folks that may be able to assist you.

Maptech’s Land Navigation division, including products such as Terrain Navigator and Terrain Navigator Pro, as well as the popular online Mapserver, has been purchased by mytopo.com. We have also reached agreement to continue to host the historical USGS map collection. For technical support for these products, please email us at ‘support@mytopo.com’ or call 406-294-9994. Sales inquiries may be directed to 800-627-7236. Web site: Customized Topo Maps, Aerial Photos, and Hybrids | MyTopo.com

Maptech’s Paper ChartKit division, including the ChartKits, Waterproof Chartbooks, Embassy Cruising Guides, and Companion CDs (featuring Offshore Navigator Lite and included with most ChartKits and Chartbooks) are now serviced by Richardsons’ charts. They can be reached at 800-873-4057 or 508-990-9020. Web site: Welcome to Richardsons’  Charts and Guidebooks

The CAPN, the popular professional navigation software, is now offered by Star Technologies. They can be reached at 703-759-2933. Web site: Welcome to The Capn

Maptech’s digital marine offerings, including Offshore Navigator, Chart Navigator, and Chart Navigator Pro are serviced by KPM Marine. Reach them at 978-834-9953 for technical assistance or 978-834-9950 for sales inquires. KPM Marine also maintains a limited inventory of parts and cables for Maptech’s Sea Ray Navigator and i3 Touch Screen Navigation Systems.

Finally, Pocket Navigator has been discontinued. However, you may be able to get limited service and upgrades through its original manufacturer: Memory-Map. They can be reached at 607-216-9195. Web site: Memory-Map:  GPS Mapping Software for PC and Pocket PC

Thank you for your interest in Maptech’s products. I wish you well in your endeavors.

-Ed Lecuyer
Former Maptech Employee
Now part of the team at MyTopo.com

Thanks to Ed Lecuyer formerly of Maptech, Inc. for this information.  Hopefully, if you’ve any of the Maptech, Inc. navigation products, you’ll be able to find support in the above information.

Comments:
22 Comments posted on "Maptech, Inc. Shuts Its Doors"
Ed Lecuyer on September 9th, 2008 at 5:07 am #

Hi all.

Please note that the above message was posted as a former Maptech employee to aid customers searching for assistance with those products. Please do not take that message as an official announcement from ‘MyTopo’ or any of the other companies mentioned in that message.

It should also be noted that at the request of at least one of those companies, the original posting from the Maptech.com discussion forum has been removed. This is so that they can conduct their own public relations efforts.

There is lot of misinformation floating around regarding this transaction. While I will be happy to answer questions regarding the Terrain Navigator/MyTopo transition, I suspect that subject will be of limited interest to the readers of this blog. I’ll leave it to representatives from the other companies to comment, should they so wish.

-Ed Lecuyer
Maptech alumni: 1997-2008

Debbie on September 9th, 2008 at 12:37 pm #

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the additional information. This particular post was intended only to relay information I’d found and thought my readers might be able to use. This way they have the names of the companies to contact. For which I thank you!

Ed on September 22nd, 2008 at 11:46 pm #

Ed,

Would you please contact me off list? I think we are related. Thanks.

Ed Bruette

Robert Strunce on September 26th, 2008 at 8:07 am #

Ed,
I want to thank you for providing people the informat concerning where to look for continued support and upgrades to TheCAPN Navigation Software. You can best track our transition progress via our website, http://www.TheCAPN.com, which will be continually update to provide the latest details about TheCAPN. Rest assured that we are committed to the continued growth of TheCAPN. Bob Strunce, President, Star Technologies Corporation (www.sdt-startech.com)

Debbie on September 26th, 2008 at 1:12 pm #

I agree with you Robert, Ed did a great job of providing help for those with Maptech products. I’m sure there are many out there grateful for this information!

Clay on February 9th, 2009 at 7:55 am #

I have Offshore Navigator ver. 5.08 and in the past was supported for free on line downloads of Tides and Currents..will that continue?

Debbie on February 9th, 2009 at 9:24 am #

Hi Clay,

I have contacted KPM Marine with your question. As soon as I have that information for you I’ll get it posted. Thanks for a great question!

Michael Bogannam on February 15th, 2009 at 6:35 pm #

Hi Clay and all !

Maptech Inc. was able to provide Offshore Navigator users free US Tide & Current data for the two year period of 2007 through 2008.

I do apologize on behalf of the company, however, we at KPM Marine are unable to continue that offer for the year 2009 at this time.
I can not (and do not) make any promises, however I will see what I can do in speaking with the owners. Provided how the 2009 business year goes, maybe we can do something similar for the year 2010.

In the meantime, we do ask that Offshore Navigator users understand and purchase the US Tides and Currents by following the below link.

I hope this answers your questions regarding updating your US Tides & Currents for Offshore Navigator.

Thank You for the opportunity in discussing this with you all!

-Michael Bogannam
KPM Marine LLC./ Maptech Navigation
Technical Support Specialist

Debbie on February 16th, 2009 at 10:13 am #

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for following up on my email. This is very helpful information that everyone with Offshore Navigator will appreciate.

Michael Bogannam on February 16th, 2009 at 10:42 am #

You are all very welcome !

Clay on February 16th, 2009 at 10:59 am #

Can we share the Tides and Current CD with other computers?

Thanks again,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

Maptech Support on February 17th, 2009 at 8:42 am #

Yes, the same disc would work.
You may use this on more than one of your own computers, that is fine.
However, you are not allowed to “pass around” the Installer , of course.

Debbie on February 17th, 2009 at 9:23 am #

Thanks Michael for clearing that up! Appreciate your help very much.

Capt Darrel on March 17th, 2009 at 12:20 pm #

I would love to have the new tide table,but I need help to get my Offshore Navigator up and running.

Debbie on March 18th, 2009 at 9:42 am #

Hi Capt Darrel,

Anyone able to help Darrel out? Here’s a link to a forum maybe there’s help there.

JC Hymel on November 2nd, 2009 at 5:05 pm #

Does anyone have any information on I3 series hardware? I have a 312 and my depth will not display on my screans. I have an output on my transducer. Can anyone help on hardware replacement???

Debbie on November 3rd, 2009 at 7:32 am #

Hi JC,

Have you tried contacting Michael from Maptech Support? You can click on his name above and it’ll take you to their site…maybe he or someone there will have an answer for you.

Z Stanek on October 26th, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Hi,

I’ve purchased (on line) USB GPS from Maptech about two weeks ago. The order was accepted and my card charged, but I’ve never received the part. Does anyone have any idea if there is any place to track that/talk to anyone, or do I need to write this off at this point… thanks.

Z Stanek

Debbie on October 27th, 2012 at 9:13 am #

I’d give them a call at this number:
978-834-9950

The employee that sent this announcement provided several phone numbers and this one matches the one on the website.

Dan Daugherty on December 17th, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

My 1 1/2 yr old Dell XPS laptop was restored and I can’t reload Bahamas charts into Offshore Navigator. It won’t let me registered CD.

Debbie on December 18th, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Dan try the number above.

David on November 28th, 2016 at 11:06 am #

I have a Maptech i3 Navigator 3.5 am I able to have unit worked on for service work? Thx