May
Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Debbie on 21-05-2008

What kind of boat is in the movie Captain Ron?  This is a question that has plauged my hubby and I for years.  It’s taken me a bunch of time and effort to finally figure it out.  So for all of you like us who’ve been trying to figure it out here my answer.

It’s a Formosa, I think a Formosa 51.  Although I’m sure the ”inside” of the boat is a hollywood set.  I must say however, everytime I watch that movie I get the bug to cast off.  If you’ve never seen it you should, it’s a crack up.  If you found this helpful, please remember I have a real estate license and if you’re going to buy or sell I’d love to refer a local agent for an interview.  It costs you nothing and if you use them, they pay me a percentage which helps me keep this blog on the web.  I’ve a small  YouTube bit of Captian Ron if your interested in seeing it.  All I can say is…isn’t she a classic…

Comments:
56 Comments posted on "What kind of sailboat is in the movie Captain Ron"
AL on June 1st, 2008 at 9:12 am #

The boats in Captain Ron were a pair of Formosa 51s… Oddly enough, they were both registered in Montana or Idaho..
I was moored at Riverbend Marina in 1992, also in a sailboat. The two Captain Ron boats were brokered there through a local sales agency.
They were owned by Vista Studios, I believe a subsidiary of Disney. Both were in rather poor states of repair.
But, because they were movie boats, they attracted a lot of attention.
The interiors of the boats were nothing like what was shown in the movie.
I was aboard each of the boats several times. They were identical except for superficial makeup.
I hope this helps..
Sail

Debbie on June 1st, 2008 at 9:58 am #

Hi Al,

I appreciate your comment, it’s nice to have confirmation that my deduction of the boat was correct. I thought maybe there was more than one but…

How wonderful to have been able to go aboard! I’m sure they were nothing like what is in the movie on the inside.

Great enjoyable movie though…always makes me want to cast off! Thanks so much for visiting with me.

txcalgal on October 29th, 2008 at 11:51 am #

One of the Capt Ron boats is for sale and is at the Kemah Boardwalk marina.. It has a lot of problems. I understand there were 4 boats in the movie.

Debbie on October 30th, 2008 at 8:34 am #

Hi txcalgal,

Thanks for visiting. The Capt. Ron boat is always of interest, the movie has a cult like following…my family included. Thanks for the heads up!

Shanne on February 21st, 2009 at 11:50 pm #

Hi txcalgal,
I looked up the Kemah Boardwalk Marina and can’t find any information on the captain ron boat for sale. Do you know any more information about this boat? Is this an individual selling the boat? I would really appreciate some more information on the boat. Anything would help. Very interested in buying this boat. Thanks, Shanne 865-556-5516

Debbie on February 22nd, 2009 at 1:41 pm #

Hi Shanne,

I found the marina website but no info on for sale. I did shoot off a quick email to txcalgal and to you. Hope that helps. Best of luck finding your boat!

vorbosh on June 7th, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

www.windsong-charters.com

Here is the url to the website for the Windsong in Kemah, tx. They may be able to connect you with the owners of the Wanderer (boat used in Capitain Ron). The Wanderer is docked nearby.

The Windsong looks just like the Wanderer. Saw it yesterday under sail. It was beautiful

Debbie on June 10th, 2009 at 6:35 am #

Thanks for the link, I think most of us dream of sailing off in the ‘fixed up’ Capt’n Ron boat.

Caleb Burton on June 20th, 2009 at 7:51 pm #

I just left a neighborhood party and while speaking with my nextdoor neighbor I learned that they are the owners of the Captain Ron boat that is for sale at the Kemah Boardwalk. I will be going over to their house tomorrow and I will

Caleb Burton on June 20th, 2009 at 7:57 pm #

… pass on your name and #.

Cap'n Rick on November 9th, 2009 at 1:57 pm #

I live onboard my 40′ ketch at the Kemah Boardwalk Marina and the boat is definitely there although I have not seen any signs indicating it was up for sale. I met a gentleman who was the caretaker of the boat but he did not indicate it was up for sale either,just that he was watching it for the owners. It is definitely in need of some work but is a great looking boat (dry rot - everybody’s got it, boss) If any interested parties will contact me I’ll be happy to look into it further and give you any info I can find. You can email me at capn.rick@hotmail.com

Debbie on November 11th, 2009 at 2:13 pm #

Thanks Cap’n Rick! We all love that boat and the movie!

Dave on April 5th, 2010 at 10:08 am #

The 51′ Formosa in Captain Ron is in very poor condition if my memory serves me correctly.
If your looking for Formosa movie boat, the 51′ Formosa from “50 First Dates” is still in good shape and I last saw it in KoOlina Marina on Oahu.

Debbie on April 6th, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Thanks Dave…appreicate the input.

txcalgal on April 30th, 2010 at 10:14 am #

50 first dates is a pilot hose version, I believe. The Formosa 51 is for sale with JM yachts. Ask for Jerry and tell him Julie sent you. (or I’ll show you the boat if you like). They have been working on her.

Debbie on May 1st, 2010 at 9:01 am #

Thanks txcalgal! They are truly ‘classic’ boats!

RONNIE on November 7th, 2010 at 8:40 am #

TODAY IS NOVEMBER 7, 2010. I OWN ONE OF THE FORMOSA 51 BOATS USED IN THE ‘CAPTAIN RON’ MOVIE. IT IS CALLED WANDERER.
I HAVE IT IN A MARINA IN ‘COSTA RICA.
IT NEEDS SOME FIXING UP. I AM LOOKING FO A PARTNER TO START A CHARTER BUSINESS USING THIS ‘CAPTAIN RON’ BOAT. RONNIEBU@HOTMAIL.COM

Debbie on November 10th, 2010 at 8:33 am #

Wouldn’t it be fun to take a Captan Ron cruise? If we get lost…we’ll just pull in somewhere and ask directions.

Great idea, good luck!

Captain Bob on February 11th, 2011 at 7:45 am #

We own one of the only Formosa 51 thats in really great shape. It is one of only 3 of its design. It’s a Los Angeles Class. Check us out…

Debbie on February 11th, 2011 at 11:00 am #

They are such cool boats!

Dickie on March 25th, 2011 at 6:55 am #

I saw and took pictures of the”Wanderer” Sunday March 20, 2011 at the Kemah Boardwalk Marina. I don’t know if it is the one in “Capt. Ron” movie or not. The name is “Wanderer”. I’m pretty sure that it’s one of them though. She’s still a beautiful boat.
Dickie

Debbie on March 28th, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

Yeah, they are really cool looking boats!

Capt Gary on April 8th, 2011 at 3:01 am #

When I had my Morgan 41′ at Kemah my friend Marcel owned the Wanderer and it was the boat used for all the sailing shots in the movie. Not sure how to get a hold of them now, but I’m sure if you call Kemah Boardwalk Marina they can help. I’ve been on that boat a lot and I can tell you that the engine room and the show is not as big as in the movie. But it’s a great boat. Fond memories with friends aboard the Wanderer.

Debbie on April 8th, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Ahoy Capt Gary,

Thanks for your visit. Wouldn’t you just love to have an engine room the size of the one on Captain Ron?!? I get tired of the ‘fold into 1/3 normal size and then squeeze into this small dark spot filled with sharp fiberglass’ to fix something.

Cristiano on April 11th, 2011 at 11:46 pm #

Cool to find this board. My father owns a 56′ (so I think). Previous owner had it named the Tangaroa, and My father renamed it Ramblin’ Rose….sadly, not after the Dead song. Looks almost identical to the movie boats but no windows in the stern. She’s heaven to sail on and liveaboard. The thing about these boats is that they are a ridiculous money pit. The upkeep is substantial and ongoing so you really have to be on your game, otherwise your vessel will be in “dry dock” on scaffolding behind your house in upstate New York. Ahhhhhhh. I think I can persuade the renovation and get her in the sea. My father has different desires these days, but I want to travel the world on that thing. How to do it without going into massive debt? I wish I could post a pic.

Debbie on April 12th, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Cristiano,

A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money…however, you can slow the flow by elbow grease…. :)

Captain Ron on September 17th, 2011 at 4:33 am #

Hi Debbie…If you would like to know more about S/V Wanderer…Please feel free to ask…Yes my name is Captain Ron ..On September 16 2011 we have entered a contract to purchase S/V Wanderer..She will be placed in rehab very soon…And returned to her one time splender..If you have any questions …I will do my best to answer them…We will have a web site soon so you and her many fans world wide can keep up with her progress…We also plan to make several boat shows and some of the fetivals and celabrations…Such as the Pirates in Paridise feastival in Key West in December if we can get to that point…Also she is slated to attend the Contraband Days festival in Lake Charles LA. In late April 2012..So Debbie..If you will …Please stay tuned for future updates…And public showings if you are intrested…Very Sincerely Captain Ron S/V Wanderer…

Debbie on September 17th, 2011 at 9:34 am #

Thanks Captain Ron! How wonderful you’re doing a rehab!

Captain Ron on September 17th, 2011 at 10:14 am #

Hi Debbie…Just to let you be one of first to know…We Ms.Katie and I, Captain Ron…Did sign a contract yesterday..Yes we will be placing her in a “Rehab” very soon..One of the biggest hold up’s on buying Wanderer..Was waiting on a “Congessional Waver” of the Jones Act of 1920…YES WE GOT IT…The Jones act prohibits the commerical use of a forgin made vessels…But our congress did argue the fact and they DID wave it,,,So I am here to advise you..And all she means something too..That S/V Wonderer is now on the road to commercial passanger use…If you would like to see her, and take a tour …PLEASE just let me know…I am at home today packing to move on borad as I write this ( I am looking for my flip flops)…I, and first mate and Wamderer speciallist Donnie..Who has more time on board than anyone else…Will be on her until the rehab is complete…For futher information …here is my e.mail address.. ron.captain@ymail.com Very Sincerely Captain Ron

paul on January 2nd, 2012 at 1:09 am #

Boat stands for brake out another thousand

Debbie on January 4th, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Yep! It sure can but with some elbow grease you can change it to a lot less, which makes me happy!

andrew on January 6th, 2012 at 6:30 am #

Its awsome to here that the wanderer may be getting somewhere, I’m new to this computer stuff but I’ve followed this site for a while, I could not tell u how many times I’ve seen the movie or I’ve made my peolpe watch it.. :) since the first time a watched the movie its allways been my dream to even step foot on it

andrew on January 6th, 2012 at 6:36 am #

And that would b thousands of times that I’ve seen it ..lol

Debbie on January 7th, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Yep, me too! I hate to admit but I’ve two copies…..love that movie!

Captain Bob on January 20th, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Update on the S/V Wanderer… She did not sale last year as outlined above and is still on the market, but, after looking at her this past week to possible purchase her as an addition to our charter fleet. We decided that the Wanderer is to far gone to bring back up, unless you have well over $500,000 to invest. It’s a real shame to see a classic sailing yacht deteriorate to her point. We refitted Windsong over 4 years and spent $250,000… Ouch. Captain Bob

Debbie on January 20th, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Yes, it is really sad to see something of beauty slowly fade away.

andrew on January 31st, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Shame to hear about the boat could it be that far gone—Does anyone have the mask that is on the wall next to the championway? I’ve been all around the caribbean and haven’t seen one like it,,

Debbie on February 2nd, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

It’s probably just a hollywood prop…anyone know anything?

Dawn on February 14th, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Hi,
I was so excited to find this website.
I have been lookin for a photo of the Captain Ron sailboat for sometime. I paint and I’ve always wanted to do a watercolor or oil of this beautiful sailboat. Would anyone know where I can get a nice sized photo of it? I would be so grateful. Thank you.
Dawn

Debbie on February 16th, 2012 at 12:29 am #

I’d look in the various on line ‘boat for sale’ sites. Maybe you’d be able to find one on yachtworld or some other site. Good luck, just look for a ‘Formosa’ my guess is a 51 footer. You should be able to print out a picture to help you.

Debbie

Dawn on February 19th, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Thank you Very Much Debbie.

Debbie on February 20th, 2012 at 12:24 am #

You’re welcome, good luck!

Ron Aragon on April 21st, 2012 at 2:50 am #

I am the real Captain Ron (yacht, ship & car salesman, Pt. Richmond in the early eighties), and I can tell you that “investing” in an old Formosa 51′ (any old Asian boat that wasn’t built in the Cheoy Lee shipyards, or the equivalent thereof) is suicide (physically, financially & mentally). Remember the movie Captain Ron? Did he stay on the boat, liveaboard, make it his home? Watch it again, and pay very close attention to the ending and what Captain Ron does. Reality check.

Debbie on April 25th, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

LOL Ron! Boats are a large hole in the water in which we all throw money…$$$$$$

Thanks for visiting!

cristiano on May 1st, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

Hey Debbie/ Captain Ron-

So our Formosa Catch is indeed a 51- and is almost identical to the wanderer. Shes still in “dry dock” on our property and is actually in really good shape but needs some obvious work– still though, shes got no major issues and is probably only 1-3 months from being in excellent shape to drop back in the water. My MAJOR issue is with the Jones Act. I was very happy to read that another F.C.51′ owner was able to get a congressional waiver. This is huge, because it is critical to be able to legally run a charter-type business in the USA with her. I am hoping captain ron has contact information so I could find out what he did to get the waiver. Ours is easily in a condition to run a business out of with a little work. She has been in our family since 1992 and we are acutely aware of exactly what needs to be done to liveaboard and sail comfortably. As I and captain Ron mentioned, these boats can be unbelievable money pits, so being able to gain revenue from her is essential to her upkeep. Any help with the Jones Act Waiver would be massively appreciated. In the meantime ill be scouring the Google;)
Cheers!

Debbie on May 3rd, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Hi Cristiano,

What an adventure! Capt’n Ron above left his email at the bottom. You could try and see if he’s still at that address : ron.captain(at)ymail (dot)com

Good luck!

andrew on May 31st, 2012 at 7:23 am #

Hi cristiano,
I was just thinking with your extesive knowledge of your own boat I’m sure that there is very little to ramblin’ rose that is original—here in florida you can build your own boat and get it titled-no problem then the jones act isn’t an issue–ditch the the title go with rebuild maybe, just a thought. I personaly know someone who who pulled a 42ft tayana mkII from the bottom of tampa bay title was no problem- he left it moored up and local pirates were the real problem after a year of rebuild they burned it down on him :( very sad sight

andrew on May 31st, 2012 at 7:35 am #

I’m from brooklyn and my father had a 35ft bertram coming into the canal of howard beach my cousin franky hit the sandbar cruisin 20knots ripped one of the props out sunk it- insurance paid him and left the boat a guy pulled it up and we watched him across the dock from us rehab it- funny thing his current is a 30 bayliner flybridge and it sits on blocks in the water -ha —boats spend more time dry in new york–my suggestion is to put them all back in the water and retire them to sunny florida ;)

Captain Bob on July 15th, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Well everyone the real story is… The Wanderer sold several months ago and is located in Kemah TX just a few slips down from our Formosa 51 “Windsong” and another Formosa 51 called Kami Kay. The Wonderer is undergoing a 4 year refit by Dockside Boat Repair. Captain Bob has spent $35k and can’t see where he’s spent it. But with that said it is looking up as she is not deteriorating anymore…

Debbie on July 16th, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Yep, hole in the water but thanks for the update!

Paul on November 3rd, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

One of the boats was at a Fort Lauderdale Marina,owned by a friend of mine. Very Cool boat. He was living on it and in very nice condition

Debbie on November 6th, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Thanks Paul,

Wouldn’t it be nice to live aboard in a great location?

RONNIE on January 4th, 2014 at 12:38 am #

I OWN ONE OF THE BOATS USED IN THE MOVIE CAPTAIN RON. IT IS A 1978 FORMOSA 51 KETCH. THE HISTORY OF THE BOAT SHOWS THAT IT WAS OWNED BY VISTA PRODUCTIONS, A SUBSIDIARY OF DISNEY. AFTER THE MOVIE WAS FINISHED, THE BOAT WAS SOLD TO A COUPLE IN FLORIDA. MY FRIEND PURCHASED IT IN FLORIDA AND SAILED IT THROUGH THE PANAMA CANAL AND SINCE 1998, IT HAS BEEN IN CENTRAL AMERICA. I AM NOW BRINGING IT UP TO LOS ANGELES IN APRIL 2014 AND WILL HAVE IT OPEN FOR VIEWING FOR A FEW YEARS. THE OTHER CAPTAIN RON BOAT IS IN TEXAS AND I HEAR THAT IT IS UP FOR SALE EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. RONNIEBU@HOTMAIL.COM

Dakota on September 26th, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

I was curious if you ever considered changing the
struucture of your site? Its very well written; I
love what youve got to say. Butt maybe yoou could a little moree in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for
only having oone or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

Herre is my homepage :: seo Hoddesdon (Dakota)

follow tips on December 11th, 2014 at 8:20 am #

Ipay a visit every day a few sites and sites to read articles
or reviews, but this blog presents quality based articles.

bulk domain name transfers and register domain names on December 18th, 2014 at 6:15 am #

We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our
community. Your site provided us with helpful
information to work on. You’ve done a formidable process and our entire community will probably be grateful to you.