Filed Under (Boating Destinations) by Debbie on 09-01-2008

If you are traveling to or from the US through land or sea ports of entry you need to know about the new requirements effective as of January 31, 2008. All adult travelers will be required to give proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and proof of identity, like a driver’s license when entering through a land or sea port entry.

This is a step taken by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and they will be issuing a notice in the Federal Register formally announcing the change. This is being done to prepare all of us for the transition to the future requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). WHTI wants to establish documentation requirements for travelers entering the US who were exempt, including citizens of the US, Canada, and Bermuda.

This has come about as a result of 9/11. If you’d like more information you can click ‘here’. Remember, if you want a passport the current turnaround time is four to six weeks. Need a passport? Click ‘here’ for information

Post a comment